Contribute: Write for Us
Outlish is a weekly, online, lifestyle magazine, written for and by Trinis in their 20s to 40s, which features fun, feisty, stimulating editorial. Our mission is to inform, entertain, inspire, and empower our readers through original content that provides fresh perspectives on life, and issues that relate to readers’ life stages, aspirations, values, and needs. A social experiment of sorts, our philosophy is that the only way to understand each other is to provide a forum for different opinions.
Based locally and abroad, contributors to Outlish.com – including readers who contribute ideas/articles now and then – are an integral part of the continuity of the site. Outlish is a playground for you to experiment with your style, build your skills, enhance your portfolio, and write about topics you won’t get to see in traditional, local media.
Who should apply?
- have a natural talent and passion for writing.
- aren’t afraid to be opinionated.
- can write with thoughtfulness, wit, and personality.
- know how to make people smile, laugh, nod their head, or stroke their real/imaginary beards, while reading Outlish.
- understand the Outlish voice, style, approach, and brand.
- can handle constructive criticism, which is meant to help them to grow as a writer, and produce quality work.
- are reliable and punctual with deadlines.
Experience is a plus, but it is not necessary.
Open to the Caribbean
Open to the Caribbean
We’re also inviting contributors of all Caribbean nationalities – based in the region, and abroad. Outlish started off with a very Trini slant, but, since we have readers from Jamaica, Barbados, St Lucia, Grenada, Guyana, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, and other Caribbean countries, we want all our Caribbean peeps to add their voice.
Write us an e-mail telling us:
- why you would be a great addition to our crew
- how you would define the personality and voice of Outlish.
Send your e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Writer Application” as the subject line.
What happens after
- You will be asked to write a test piece of 850-1,000 words. So think of two or three story ideas to pitch to the editor. Please do not send an article, without chatting with the editor. The editor normally agrees on a topic with the writer first to ensure that it isn’t one that Outlish has already covered, or to confirm whether it is a topic that matches Outlish’s editorial direction. This saves you from spending energy on an idea that we would not consider.
- If your piece passes the test, you will be dubbed outlishous, become a crew member, and be privy to what really happens behind the scenes – scandalous limes included.
Here are some things to note
- All writers will receive by-lines and personal author bios, prominently placed.
- Monetary compensation is not offered, at present. However, we hope to be able to pay writers in the future.
- All writers will benefit from our writer development workshops, one-on-one training, and the freedom to develop your personal style.
- We know you have a life too, so we work with your schedule. You don’t have to write every week. You write, as often as you like, with a minimum commitment to write at least every six weeks. Plus, if you need to take a break, you can chat with the editor.
Please note that, while we strive to read all submissions, resources are limited, and we can’t necessarily guarantee an immediate response…but we will respond.